As your company expands from a startup to an established company, the amount of paper papers it produces increases quickly. This accumulated paperwork takes up space and is challenging to manage. Digital conversion techniques can be used to convert all of your company’s paper documents to electronic ones that are kept on your own server or in the cloud as one solution. This enables you to handle papers more effectively, prevent the loss of important records, and maintain the reputation of your company.
What is document scanning?
The technique of taking digital photos of paper documents is known as document scanning, sometimes known as document imaging. Then, using OCR conversion software, the images of the physical documents are converted into a digital format. Optical character recognition, or OCR, scans image files of documents and converts them into text files. This clever conversion enables meaningful keyword searches on documents.
What does small company document scanning entail?
As a small business owner on a tight budget, you must eliminate unnecessary expenses. The time it takes to sift through a large number of paper documents might reduce production. It would also take more room to safely preserve everything, which would increase ongoing expenditures.
Small firms can avoid these difficulties and ultimately save money by utilising document scanning. To have paper documents, microfilms, plans, maps, blueprints, and other media transformed to a digital format, you can entrust a document scanning service provider. In addition to saving space, converting papers to digital forms increases the security of your documents since you may encrypt the data, store them as read-only files, and control who can access each file.
Additionally, because digital files are simpler to access and browse, they provide better customer service, boost productivity, enable faster recovery of pertinent data, and allay concerns about harming important physical papers.
After scanning paper documents that include sensitive information, such as those containing financial information, you can utilise a redaction service to take such information out of the digital files.
Using a data keying service after your documents have been scanned could be helpful. This kind of service manually inputs data and confirms the accuracy of scanned documents to ensure there are few mistakes. Data keying enables you to adhere to requirements for the retention of digital data. You only need to declare your preferred data style or format. The database of your business can then easily include digital files.
With the exception of documents needed for statutory compliance and other legal requirements, all of your paper documents can be scanned and made editable before being burned. The service provider offers bulk shredding of confidential documents.
What are the advantages of having scanned documents?
The process of digitising your records has various benefits. Here are a few advantages:
- Simple document sharing Digitally sharing scanned papers is quicker than mailing, faxing, or hand-delivering paper ones. Document sharing is also streamlined by digitization, increasing productivity and efficiency. Collaboration is enhanced by digitization since it enables many departments and large numbers of users to access the same document concurrently.
- Safely keep information. Documents that have been scanned can be safely stored in digital form. On distant servers with strong security measures, digital files can be safely kept or backed up. Digital papers can also be archived and managed in an organised manner, with virtually no chance of loss or misplacing compared to physical records.
- Include digital components Information can be extracted from paper documents, films, tapes, and other types of media through scanning. Barcodes, RFID chips, QR codes, and other scannable inputs can all be used to read information. The scanned data can be translated for use with customer relationship management tools, document management systems, enterprise resource planning software, management information system software, and other business applications.
- Save time and money. You no longer need to hunt through mountains of paper files or have a warehouse just for storing papers because you can access and use all scanned documents with only a few clicks. The average firm spends $20 to file a document, $120 to look for a lost document, and $220 to recreate a lost document, according to a 2015 analysis from eFileCabinet.
- Better client service. You and your staff may find information and give it to your clients more quickly and easily by indexing digitised documents with various metadata.
- Limit the amount of storage. You are no longer need to keep an additional office space for document storage. It is possible to do away with storage costs for paper documents.
- Comply with legal requirements. Certain sectors have legal compliance standards that require that certain papers be kept in a digital format. You can accomplish this fast and affordably with scanning.
- Cut down on paper waste. By scanning papers, paper waste is greatly reduced, preventing deforestation and saving money. Additionally, you avoid paying for paper for printing and shredders for the proper disposal of paper.
- Boost the accessibility of files. All scanned files may be shared or uploaded to the cloud. Because they are editable files, anyone with the proper authorization can access them from local or remote places and instantly search for any information.
What are the different types of document scanning services?
Typically, scanning entails using a scanner lens to take digital pictures of actual physical documents. Basic scans of documents can only be viewed because they are just digital images, so they aren’t really helpful. By including the following capabilities, a reliable scanning service can assist you in expanding upon the fundamental functioning of these files:
- The capacity to modify and annotate scanned documents
- High-resolution black-and-white and colour pictures
- Various formats for large- or small-scale storing
Here are the different types of document scanning services:
- Mass scanning High-quality machines scan a lot of papers at once with this kind of document scanning service. The scanning process takes less time because no individual paper needs to be handled.
- Scanned in a large format. Huge scanners produce images of the highest quality for scanning large physical documents, such as those measuring 54 by 72 inches. The scanned documents’ colour, size, resolution, and file format can all be customised. These files, which contain posters, maps, and architectural blueprints, are examples.
- OCR capturing. Using OCR scanning, you can obtain editable scanned files that support modifications. You can search for keywords as the scanned file is not in an image format. Additionally, text can be readily edited without changing the original font style.
- Scanning microfiche and microfilm. This kind of service transforms data from indexable digital files to tapes and microfilms, facilitating the sharing, storing, accessing, and retrieval of digital files.
- Scanning both on-site and off-site. A service provider scans documents off-site at their own location. However, if the documents are sensitive or classified, you must select a firm that can finish the job on-site to prevent misplacing or losing your documents during shipment. An authorised individual can monitor the entire procedure to stop information theft. On-site scanning, however, might be more time consuming and expensive than off-site scanning.
What types of documents can you have scanned?
The kinds of documents you can digitise are actually not constrained in any way. Prioritize the following document kinds if you are starting from scratch and want to convert all of your paper documents to electronic versions:
- Official communications
- Financial documents
- Legal arrangements
- Health records
- HR records
- Invoices and bills
- Search maps
- More substantial documents
The following step after scanning the papers with a high-quality scanner is to enter the descriptive data required to identify files. You may retrieve, read, and distribute text from scanned photographs using a variety of apps by employing clever OCR.
What are some document digitization and management services?
Depending on your company’s demands, you can choose from a large number of document digitization services. The best solutions for small businesses were discovered after extensive research at business.com into document management services. To do this, we looked at a number of crucial variables, including price, usability, and storage capacity. Here are the document management and digitization services that we believe are the best:
- SharePoint by Microsoft. Because of its options, such as team sites that let users arrange documents by department, Microsoft SharePoint was selected as the finest document management system. Because authorised users from other teams can see or edit papers on other team sites, it also promotes collaboration.
- M-Files. The Windows File Explorer interface-like design of M-Files led us to select it as the most user-friendly document management system. It includes offline access and lets users perform the majority of operations from a single dashboard. You can arrange and allocate tasks to the relevant users with the aid of its workflow automation capabilities.
- Dokmee. Dokmee’s remarkable safeguards, which include audit log capabilities and round-the-clock data monitoring, led us to choose it as the finest secured document management system. Each user account has a password and is encrypted.
- Express FileHold Because FileHold Express is made for expanding teams, we chose it as the finest scalable document management solution. Between five and twenty persons as well as larger businesses can be accommodated through its FileHold Enterprise membership tiers. These alternatives can be switched to quickly and affordably.
Here are some other popular document management systems:
How to choose document management software
Think about your company’s needs for security, sorting, and search features before selecting a document management system.
Consider where you want the system hosted as well. Do you prefer an on-site solution or a third-party-managed cloud-based document service?
In order to regulate which employees have access to specific files, look for a service that lets you put permission restrictions on specific files. A system that stores your documents in the cloud is also perfect since users can access files from any device with an internet connection – a feature that is particularly crucial for companies with distant staff.
The greatest document management tools enable seamless teamwork and collaboration. It shouldn’t be necessary for you to handle your paperless documents using various tools. Make sure your application contains image capabilities that are compatible with your scanner, templates for creating documents that can be customised, and tools that automatically format scanned files to according to office or industry standards. It is advantageous to have a variety of workflow automation solutions because they enable you to produce, modify, review, and approve all scanned documents for your company. A system that enables you to import many types of digital documents, like PDFs, word processing files, spreadsheets, and image files, is also important.
Learn more: How Long Does It Take to Charge a Tesla